Its name stems from a small chapel dedicated to this saint, which was built in the medieval period next to a Pisan hospital, and destroyed during the extension works of the esplanade in the 19th century.
The statue of Napoleon 1st in attire of a Roman emperor, is an antiquitizing work commissioned by the Napoleon's sister, Elisa Baciocchi, Grand Duchess of Toscanny, princess of Lucques and Piombino. Of colossal proportions, it was intended to decorate the main square of Livorno. The Florentine Lorenzo Bartolini is the author of this work. Due to the fall of the Empire, the statue stayed neglected in his workshop and in 1849, one year before its death, the artist suggested donating it to the city of Bastia, which accepted the offer. The war memorial: In 1920 the city ordered from the Bastian artist Louis Patriarche a sculptured group symbolizing the patriotic Corsican sacrifice (a Corsican mother offering her youngest son to the Homeland). A bas-relief of the Bastian sculptor Jean-Mathieu Peckle representing the "voceru" (improvised traditional funeral lament) was attached to the base of the monument, enlarged and embellished in 1929.