Old Harbour

The old harbour has kept all of its authenticity. It takes you on a journey, narrating its rich history to the vistors settled at the terraces of restaurants or cafés.

At the time, Genovese fleets or imperial and royal ships landed on these secular piers. Only the bell towers of the church of Holy John shelling the hours take the dreamers back to present time. At the foot of the Genovese mole dating back to 16th century, the niche of "Madunetta" shelters a marble statue of the Virgin Mary, who is the protector of the local fishermen. The old harbour was considerably improved during the Second Empire. The former Genovese pier protecting the port from bad weather, was prolonged by 50 meters and the stone mole, which crowns the artificial rocks, was completely reconstructed. 

Facing the Genovese mole, on the other side of the harbour's entrance, you'll find the pier of the Dragon (from Corsican " dragone "), whose constrution started in 1855 and finished in 1863. Until the beginning of the 19th century, the harbour did not possess any piers. The first one to be built was the one extending along the Northern side: the pier of Health. Even under the Second Empire, the southern side of the port consisted of a rocky mass and it was only in 1867, that the construction of the southern pier was completed. Facing the increasing sea traffic, a new port was put in service in 1872 in the bay of Saint Nicholas. From then on, the Old harbour remained allocated to fishing fleets and sailing boats.


Logo Office de tourisme de bastia Logo Cap corse Logo Qualité Tourisme Logo CTC Logo ATC


Office de Tourisme BASTIA Place Saint Nicolas 20200 Bastia 04 95 54 20 40
Fax : 04 95 54 20 41
Mail : ot-bastia@wanadoo.fr
Réalisation Corsicaweb | Crédits photos | Mentions légales
En poursuivant votre navigation sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies pour vous proposer des services et offres adaptés à vos centres d’intérêts.FERMER  x