The Palace of Governors

The Governors' Palace was built from a tower, built in 1380 by a noble Genoese, Leonello Lomellino.

This tower, the bastia, which gave its name to the city, was strategically located on the promontory overlooking the cove of Porto Cardo (Old Port of Bastia) and was quickly transformed into a castello, an organ of defense more important than a simple watchtower.
The castle became the permanent residence of the governors of Genoa in Corsica only at the end of the 15th century, although the date 1453 was traditionally chosen as the date of installation.

Suivez-nous


Logo Office de tourisme de bastia Logo Cap corse Logo Qualité Tourisme Logo CTC Logo ATC

Newsletter

Office de Tourisme BASTIA Place Saint Nicolas 20200 Bastia 04 95 54 20 40
Fax : 04 95 54 20 41
Mail : ot-bastia@wanadoo.fr
Réalisation Corsicaweb | Crédits photos | Mentions légales
En poursuivant votre navigation sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies pour vous proposer des services et offres adaptés à vos centres d’intérêts.FERMER  x