The palace of governors
The Governors' Palace was built from a tower, built in 1380 by a noble Genoese, Leonello Lomellino.
This tower, the bastia, which gave its name to the city, was strategically located on the promontory overlooking the cove of Porto Cardo (Old Port of Bastia) and was quickly transformed into a castello, an organ of defense more important than a simple watchtower.
The castle became the permanent residence of the governors of Genoa in Corsica only at the end of the 15th century, although the date 1453 was traditionally chosen as the date of installation.
Palais des Gouverneurs
Place du Donjon, 20200 Bastia